Friday, January 10, 2014

Homemade Laundry Detergent


Last Summer I decided to venture into the world of homemade laundry soap. With two young kids we do a lot of laundry and I hated spending so much money on such little amount of laundry soap. I made my way to google and found that pretty much all homemade powder detergents consist of the same ingredients. Not only did I do it to save on cost (Even with buying the $4.99 Purex I was spending more on that than making homemade) but working towards more homemade in our lives :)


Above is what I used back last summer. It worked well but in my most recent batch I skipped the oxyclean and haven't noticed a difference in how well it cleans so I suppose it just depends on how dirty your clothes are. 

I've linked to the products on Amazon so you can see the product, but I've found it to be  quite a bit cheaper at the grocery store. 

Here is what you need:
2 bars of Fels Naptha or an alike product (These are only 98 cents each at my Walmart, so that goes to show you that it is cheaper to buy these items locally)
1 tub of Oxiclean
Grater
Large container to store it in
Large spoon to mix it with

*I did find this combo pack on Amazon that brings down the cost if you need to purchase it on Amazon -Laundry Soap Kit - Fels Naptha, Borax & Washing Soda  

I know it looks a bit like cheese but I'd advise against eating it ;)


Mix all of it together. I hear it is easiest to do it in a 5 gallon bucket, but I just do it right in my glass container. The most time consuming part for me was grating the Fels-Naptha. Each load I put in two scoops with my scooper which I think is a total of around 3-4 tablespoons. You can of course easily adjust the amount to fit your needs. A batch of this lasts me 6-8 months depending on how much laundry we happen to go through. 



____________________________________________________________________ 
 If you like my blog please click the image below. 
 There is nothing to sign up for, just click and you are done. Thanks! If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment